“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”
– Science Officer Spock
While many Trekkies spend the vast portion of their time searching for the latest Star Trek starships in the canon, its refreshing to see some oldies but goodies warp in to make a return appearance. In this particular case, we just received a shipment of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A, one of the earliest starships to be introduced into Star Trek lore (ST0072).
The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A) was a 23rd century Federation Constitution-class starship operated by Starfleet. This starship was the second Federation ship to bear the name Enterprise.
Externally, the Enterprise-A was virtually identical to the refit USS Enterprise, destroyed several months prior to the launch. The bridge was in its customary location on Deck 1. At least three different models were used during the ship’s service.
The bridge was located on Deck 1, at the very top of the saucer section. The large viewscreen could project different views from cameras scattered on the saucer section of the ship. The Enterprise could also show tactical views and alerts on the screen along with hails. There were two turbo lifts.
The torpedo bay was on Deck 13. It was much more automated than on the previous Enterprise, and the torpedo room itself was smaller and enclosed.
No “unauthorized” hand phaser could be fired aboard the ship at a level above stun without an alarm sounding.